Saturday, May 16, 2015

Disney DIY Shirts - Part 3 - Glow in the Dark Fabric Paint


I've been working on our third set of  Disney DIY shirts.  I wanted something cool...like glow in the dark, so I went with that idea.  I used Tulip glow-in-the-dark puffy fabric paint.  We bought blue, purple, orange, green and neutral.  The paint cost around $12 (with a nifty 50% coupon).   The t-shirts were $3 at Michaels.

I used the freezer paper method.  I started off brushing the paint on, like how I did it last time.  I was under the impression that these glow in the dark paints are opague and thick.  But after the first coat of paint, I realized that the paint dried to an almost transparent non-color!  It may be because these t-shirts are black?  Not sure.  Anyways, these set of shirts gave me so much trouble.

Buzz Lightyear and Olaf the snowman were the first 2 glow-in-the-dark shirts that I did.  You can see how the white portion, is an off-white color, due to like 8 layers of paint.  So for Thumper the bunny and Tinkerbell, I bought white fabric paint and put a layer of white on first.  Then I added layers of the glow in the dark paint afterwards, which seemed to work much better.  Lesson learned.  I used around 4 layers of paint for Thumper and Tinkerbell.

I added the cost of fabric paint (silver, white and all the glow in the dark ones) and all the t-shirts, each of the painted shirts worked out to be $6 each.  And I still have half the paint left to do other crafts with the kids.  Deal.





No comments: