Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Scare - Hospital Visit

Everyone in the house was getting excited about Halloween, decorating the house, wearing costumes to school, getting the candies ready by the door.  But in the end, no one got to do any trick or treating today.

We had quite a scare today.  Little Jas had a party on her own and ended up in the Emergency at Burnaby.  She came home from school and decided to sneak a candy to eat (crispy crunch), which came from Julia`s bag, from her preschool.  After 5 minutes, she got a belly ache.  It hurt so bad she had to tell someone.  And then her lips and face started swelling. 


I knew instantly she ate something with peanuts in it.  So I asked Jas what she ate.  She denied it.  Nothing she says.  I told her that I know she ate peanut.  The father-in-law comes upstairs and shows me the candy wrapper.  Yup, has peanuts in it.  I gave her Benadryl right away but her face continued to swell so I called 9-1-1.  The operator told me to give her the epipen.  Then Jas started to throw up everywhere.

The ambulance came and took her to Burnaby hospital to be assessed.  They gave her 2 additional shots and lots of Benadryl.  At the hospital, Jas threw up some more.  We finally left around 11pm at night.  So, for Halloween, no one got to go trick or treating.  Cost us a small fortune too, for the ambulance.  Luckily we have extended health to cover the costs.

I'm certain Jas learned something from this incident, as she's NEVER eaten peanut in her life.  Shots, throwing up, belly ache, swollen face/lip.  All the pleasant side effects she got.  I wonder if she'll remember this when she grows up?

Here are a couple of pics:        1)  Rashes around her neck 
 
2)  2 needle marks

2 comments:

Karen said...

oh oh oh. Very scary. Hopefully she does remember this, and stays aware of what happens.

Anonymous said...

Learning from experience is the best example which I'm sure she'll remember. I really think she has a good chance of being able to eat peanuts in her lifetime as it looks like we are closer to a cure. I just read this recently http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/11/08/10-year-old-boy-cured-serious-peanut-allergy/
WT