Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hawaii Day 7 - Byodo-In-Temple and Scuba Diving (video)

Today was a scheduled relax day, with not alot of things planned. (Actually, Richard and I planned to do scuba diving in the afternoon so we were leaving the kids with the grandparents). Anyways, in the morning, we went to visit a Japanese temple located in the Valley of the Temples (it's actually hidden inside a cemetary).

The Byodo-In Temple is a replica of a 900-year-old Buddhist place of worship at Uji in Kyoto prefecture of Japan. Inside the Byodo-In Temple is a nine-foot (3 m) Lotus Buddha, a wooden Buddha. It is covered in gold and lacquer. Outside is a three-ton, brass peace bell. Surrounding the temple are large koi ponds that cover a total of two acres). There were tons of fish in the ponds surrounding the temple and they even sold fish food for the little kids to feed the fish. Jasmine loved it.





In the afternoon, Richard and I enjoyed a few hours alone to take a scuba diving excursion. This was my first time scuba diving so I was kinda nervous (Richard took a course previously so he already knew everything). I had to learn how to use the equipment in 5 minutes (including how to clear out the goggles underwater and how to re-capture my regulator in case I lose it). Sounds easy enough but it's not as easy as it seems when you are 40 ft in the water.

The diving company took us on 2 dives (there were 6 people on our tour). The first dive, we went down to 30 ft below the water. Unfortunately, I had trouble adjusting my ear pressure (one side hurt every time we went deeper into the water) so I didn't get to enjoy it much. It took about 15 minutes for me to learn how to pop my ears correctly and when I finally did, everything was A-ok but we had to go back up for more air already. On the second dive, we went down to 45 ft under the water and we saw turtles, tropical fish, an eagle ray and even a small shark! Yikes. (we were told that the sharks usually do their hunting at night so during the day, they are mostly sleepy). Below is a video taken of us by the diving company (Oahu Diving):




No comments: