Friday, September 3, 2010

Taking Bottle now and Pumping

Julia finally took the bottle today.

The last time I breastfed her in peace was Thursday, September 2 at 3:45am. We did breastfeed at 7am but it was a struggle and she drank very little. She sucked for a few seconds expecting to get milk right away, and when that didn`t happen, she popped off and started screaming at me. Julia seems to expect to get milk right away which of course doesn't happen.

At the 10am feeding, Julia did the same thing. Sucked for few seconds, popped off and then started screaming. I know she is hungry, chewing her hand continuously. So at noon, I offered her a bottle and she drank 2oz. Not much but better than nothing. Throughout the day, I offered the bottle and she took little sips here and there. I think she`ll get it after all.

Do I miss breastfeeding? Well, a little. I miss the quiet time with her and the closeness we had. But ever since she is easily distracted during feeding, it`s more work than anything keeping her still enough to feed, not to mention the punishing bites she gives me.

I do want Julia to receive all the health benefits of breastmilk so I am pumping every 4 hours and giving her all the milk she needs. I am producing enough for her daily consumption so things are ok on that front. That just means that I have to wash the pumping equipment and all the bottles every day.

Now, if only I can get her on a feeding/sleeping schedule...

No comments: