Friday, July 2, 2010

Nursing Strike - Continues

Unfortunately, I was too quick to say that the nursing strike was over. After one day of wonderful breastfeeding on Monday, Julia refused to breastfeed again on Tuesday. She didn't feed at all during the day and woke up 6 times to breastfeed in the evening.

Problem 1 - It is now Friday and Julia continues to act this way. It is as if she does not like the boob when she is awake and conscious, but hunger takes over her mind when she is sleeping. What am I going to do? I'm up all day taking care of her and up all night feeding her. I feel like a zombie now.

Problem 2 - To make things worse, my milk supply is diminishing quickly. This is because during the day, I offer and offer my breast to Julia to feed. I want my breasts to have milk for her so I don't pump when she is supposed to feed. But because she doesn't feed and my breasts become very full, my body thinks that I no longer need the milk and is slowing down the production of milk.

I used to be able to pump 5oz from one breast every 4 hours. I can now pump only 2.5oz every 4 hours. That is a very drastic decrease. I am pumping and pumping like a maniac now to try to increase milk production.

Problem 3 - Julia has not taken the bottle since she hit 3 months. She's decided that she doesn't like the bottle or the breast. I tried giving her fresh breastmilk with a bottle today but she refused. I don't want her to get dehydrated so I've given her some milk thru a dropper into her mouth but most of it dribbles out of her mouth. At least she got a couple of gulps.

I am very, very upset. It's already been a week of this. I don't know if I can continue this much longer. I do not plan to stop breastfeeding but if my milk supply dips even more, this may be the end of it. Anyone have any suggestions? Please HELP!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh no! So painful for you. Lack of sleep, sore breasts. :(

Have you tried going to the breast feeding clinic to see if they can help with the latch?