Monday, April 19, 2010

Is it Reflux?

It's the third night in a row that Julia has thrown up all over me. It always seems to happen in the middle of the night. I just don't get it. The second night, she puked on me twice...the first time I was able to clean up the mess on my own (sort of) but then the second time, I put Julia onto my shoulder to burp and she threw up all over my back, the couch and the cushions. Hard to believe that she can make such a mess in less than a second. I had to call Richard who was sleeping upstairs at 1:15am in the morning to come and help. It was just all over the place and I needed to shower.

I've always suspected a reflux issue with Julia since she was born. She had heavy breathing when she slept, always making a gurgling sound in her throat. But the doc doesn't think so, even with all these throwing up incidents. I was told to keep her upright for 20 minutes after she feeds, but that doesn't seem to help. Julia sleeps on a wedge in her crib, which keeps her body in a slight incline. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I can do.

If this keeps up, I'll be changing shirts every other hour and doing loads of laundry all the time (Julia's clothes too). Let's hope she grows out of it.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Megan use to do that too.
She finally outgrew it around 4 months.
She didn't do it all the time, but why did it always feel like the middle of the night when she did do it?