Saturday, February 20, 2010

Baby #2 Arrives!!!

Please welcome our second daughter, born on February 2010. She was 7lbs 11 ounces and 20.5 inches long. Currently we are undecided on the name so we'll call her B#2 for now. Please click on the pics to enlarge the photos.


B#2 came in a hurry, as expected though, since Jasmine was born pretty quickly for a first birth. Jasmine took only 2 hours 39 minutes from first contraction to delivery. We barely made it to the hospital. For B#2, she only took 29 minutes from first contraction to delivery! Luckily, I was already at the hospital being monitored (more details later).

This is how it started. On Thursday, I felt like doing some exercise and went on a walk around the neighborhood. I left the house at 11:45am and got home around 1:30pm. Half way through the walk, my pants felt quite damp. It just felt like there was dampness only in the pants but it was strange because I wasn't sweating at all. Anyways, I continued with my walk and when I got home, I went to the bathroom and changed my clothes. As I stood up, I could feel a whoosh of dampness in my pants again. Weird. I just went to the bathroom so I suspected something was not right. I went into my room and changed my pants again and put on a liner. In about 30 minutes, my liner was soaked.

So then I called the hospital and informed what was happening. They told me to go in for monitoring, in case my membranes were ruptured (water breaking). I called Richard at work and told him to come home. We arrived at the hospital at 5pm. I always thought that when your waters broke, you'd like get a pool of liquid, like in the movies. But upon arriving at the hospital, the PH test showed positive that my membranes were ruptured. Sometimes when your waters break, the amniotic fluid leaks out slowly and continuously.

When the nurse told me this, I was wondering to myself, so what next? My waters broke but I've had zero contractions. I wasn't feeling anything at all. I was told that after 12 hours of rupture of membrane, if I still don't have any contractions, I would be induced to prevent infection. Dr. Donna Yee is my regular doctor but she was on vacation this week. Dr. Vivian Paul was her replacement and she had just finished a delivery in the ward. She checked my cervix and told me that I was already 5cm dilated! Boy, am I lucky?

At 5:45pm, I had my first strong contraction. Then the next one was 3 minutes after. The contractions continued getting stronger and stronger. By 6:04pm, I was told I was completed dilated and that I can start pushing. I pushed a few times and all of a sudden, they started shouting "STOP!" I didn't know what was going on. Richard went and took a look, but he didn't tell me anything. Then they told me to push slowly, slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y.

Apparently, B2's arm got in the way. Her arm was bent at the elbow, elbow straight up and hand near her face. The elbow and head came out at the same time, and the hand was stuck around her neck area... so that is when they told me to STOP pushing.

After that panic situation, I pushed only a few times more and B#2 came out! Talk about a speedy delivery. B#2 is very healthy and cried when she was born. I feel like I am the luckiest mother on the earth.




2 comments:

Karen said...

Holy smokes that was fast!!
The third will come in 15 mins!
Glad to see that you and B#2 are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Vivian,I am very glad that you and the B#2 are fine.I love to come to see you guys in a week or two.So now you have sleepless nights again.Back to pumping milk again!I did not have time to pick up the eyeglasses today.I will go there tomorrow.Bye! Dad