Saturday, December 1, 2007

Back to Birthweight

Over the past week, Jasmine and I have been working on breastfeeding. It's alot of work. Poor girl, always seems to be hungry all the time. The first few days were particulary hard since I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. And my breasts were sore as ever. Felt like Jasmine was biting more than sucking.

The community nurse did come by our house to check on baby and me, to make sure things were going smoothly. The nurse checked to see that Jasmine was latching correctly and was told she was (although it sure didn't feel like she was latching right). Anyhow, after a while of persistent latching and feeding every 2 hours, Jasmine eventually got the hang of it. Once my milk came in, everything was good.

The first time Jasmine latched correctly, it was like night and day for my breasts. There was absolutely no pain! And I can hear Jasmine gulping the milk. Wow, this is cool stuff. I've always wondered whether I could do this, and I can.

Jasmine is officially back to her birth weight of 7lb 8oz by 10 days. I hope she continues to gain weight healthily (is that a word)?

No comments: